You Are Here:
Screening for Osteoporosis: An Update for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (continued)
100. Anderson GL, Limacher M, Assaf AR, Bassford T, Beresford SA, Black H, et al; Women's Health Initiative Steering Committee. Effects of conjugated equine estrogen in postmenopausal women with hysterectomy: the Women's Health Initiative randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2004;291:1701-12. [PMID: 15082697]
101. Fogelman I, Ribot C, Smith R, Ethgen D, Sod E, Reginster JY. Risedronate reverses bone loss in postmenopausal women with low bone mass: results from a multinational, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. BMD-MN Study Group. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2000;85:1895-900. [PMID: 10843171]
102. Greenspan SL, Parker RA, Ferguson L, Rosen HN, Maitland-Ramsey L, Karpf DB. Early changes in biochemical markers of bone turnover predict the long-term response to alendronate therapy in representative elderly women: a randomized clinical trial. J Bone Miner Res 1998;13:1431-8. [PMID: 9738515]
103. Montessori ML, Scheele WH, Netelenbos JC, Kerkhoff JF, Bakker K. The use of etidronate and calcium versus calcium alone in the treatment of postmenopausal osteopenia: results of three years of treatment. Osteoporos Int 1997;7:52-8. [PMID: 9102064]
104. Ettinger B, Black DM, Mitlak BH, Knickerbocker RK, Nickelsen T, Genant HK, et al. Reduction of vertebral fracture risk in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis treated with raloxifene: results from a 3-year randomized clinical trial. Multiple Outcomes of Raloxifene Evaluation (MORE) Investigators. JAMA 1999;282:637-45. [PMID: 10517716]
105. Nelson HD, Fu R, Griffin JC, Nygren P, Smith ME, Humphrey L. Systematic review: comparative effectiveness of medications to reduce risk for primary breast cancer. Ann Intern Med 2009;151:703-15, W-226-35. [PMID: 19920271]
106. Kaufman JM, Orwoll E, Goemaere S, San Martin J, Hossain A, Dalsky GP, et al. Teriparatide effects on vertebral fractures and bone mineral density in men with osteoporosis: treatment and discontinuation of therapy. Osteoporos Int 2005;16:510-6. [PMID: 15322742]
109. Wells G, Cranney A, Peterson J, Boucher M, Shea B, Robinson V, et al. Risedronate for the primary and secondary prevention of osteoporotic fractures in postmenopausal women. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2008:CD004523. [PMID: 18254053]
110. Wells GA, Cranney A, Peterson J, Boucher M, Shea B, Robinson V, et al. Etidronate for the primary and secondary prevention of osteoporotic fractures in postmenopausal women. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2008:CD003376. [PMID: 18254018]
111. Wells GA, Cranney A, Peterson J, Boucher M, Shea B, Robinson V, et al. Alendronate for the primary and secondary prevention of osteoporotic fractures in postmenopausal women. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2008:CD001155. [PMID: 18253985]
112. Black DM, Delmas PD, Eastell R, Reid IR, Boonen S, Cauley JA, et al; HORIZON Pivotal Fracture Trial. Once-yearly zoledronic acid for treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 2007;356:1809-22. [PMID: 17476007]
113. Lyles KW, Colón-Emeric CS, Magaziner JS, Adachi JD, Pieper CF, Mautalen C, et al; HORIZON Recurrent Fracture Trial. Zoledronic acid and clinical fractures and mortality after hip fracture. N Engl J Med 2007;357:1799-809. [PMID: 17878149]
114. Chesnut IC, Skag A, Christiansen C, Recker R, Stakkestad JA, Hoiseth A, et al. Effects of oral ibandronate administered daily or intermittently on fracture risk in postmenopausal osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res 2004;19:1241-9.
115. McClung MR, Wasnich RD, Recker R, Cauley JA, Chesnut CH 3rd, Ensrud KE, et al; Oral Ibandronate Study Group. Oral daily ibandronate prevents bone loss in early postmenopausal women without osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res 2004;19:11-8. [PMID: 14753731]
116. Recker R, Stakkestad JA, Chesnut CH 3rd, Christiansen C, Skag A, Hoiseth A, et al. Insufficiently dosed intravenous ibandronate injections are associated with suboptimal antifracture efficacy in postmenopausal osteoporosis. Bone 2004;34:890-9. [PMID: 15121021]
121. Sørensen HT, Christensen S, Mehnert F, Pedersen L, Chapurlat RD, Cummings SR, et al. Use of bisphosphonates among women and risk of atrial fibrillation and flutter: population based case-control study. BMJ 2008;336:813-6. [PMID: 18334527]
122. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Update of safety review follow-up to the October 1, 2007 early communication about the ongoing safety review of bisphosphonates. Accessed at http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/PostmarketDrugSafetyInformationforPatientsandProviders/DrugSafetyInformationforHeathcareProfessionals/ucm136201.htm on 3 June 2010.
123. MacLean C, Newberry S, Maglione M, McMahon M, Ranganath V, Suttorp M, et al. Systematic review: comparative effectiveness of treatments to prevent fractures in men and women with low bone density or osteoporosis. Ann Intern Med 2008;148:197-213. [PMID: 18087050]
125. Goh SK, Yang KY, Koh JS, Wong MK, Chua SY, Chua DT, et al. Subtrochanteric insufficiency fractures in patients on alendronate therapy: a caution. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2007;89:349-53. [PMID: 17356148]
127. Odvina CV, Zerwekh JE, Rao DS, Maalouf N, Gottschalk FA, Pak CY. Severely suppressed bone turnover: a potential complication of alendronate therapy. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2005;90:1294-301. [PMID: 15598694]
129. Cushman M, Kuller LH, Prentice R, Rodabough RJ, Psaty BM, Stafford RS, et al; Women's Health Initiative Investigators. Estrogen plus progestin and risk of venous thrombosis. JAMA 2004;292:1573-80. [PMID: 15467059]
130. Curb JD, Prentice RL, Bray PF, Langer RD, Van Horn L, Barnabei VM, et al. Venous thrombosis and conjugated equine estrogen in women without a uterus. Arch Intern Med 2006;166:772-80. [PMID: 16606815]
131. Wassertheil-Smoller S, Hendrix SL, Limacher M, Heiss G, Kooperberg C, Baird A, et al; WHI Investigators. Effect of estrogen plus progestin on stroke in postmenopausal women: the Women's Health Initiative: a randomized trial. JAMA 2003;289:2673-84. [PMID: 12771114]
132. Manson JE, Hsia J, Johnson KC, Rossouw JE, Assaf AR, Lasser NL, et al; Women's Health Initiative Investigators. Estrogen plus progestin and the risk of coronary heart disease. N Engl J Med 2003;349:523-34. [PMID: 12904517]
133. Chlebowski RT, Hendrix SL, Langer RD, Stefanick ML, Gass M, Lane D, et al; WHI Investigators. Influence of estrogen plus progestin on breast cancer and mammography in healthy postmenopausal women: the Women's Health Initiative Randomized Trial. JAMA 2003;289:3243-53. [PMID: 12824205]
134. Anderson GL, Judd HL, Kaunitz AM, Barad DH, Beresford SA, Pettinger M, et al; Women's Health Initiative Investigators. Effects of estrogen plus progestin on gynecologic cancers and associated diagnostic procedures: the Women's Health Initiative randomized trial. JAMA 2003;290:1739-48. [PMID: 14519708]
135. Chlebowski RT, Wactawski-Wende J, Ritenbaugh C, Hubbell FA, Ascensao J, Rodabough RJ, et al; Women's Health Initiative Investigators. Estrogen plus progestin and colorectal cancer in postmenopausal women. N Engl J Med 2004;350:991-1004. [PMID: 14999111]
136. Hsia J, Criqui MH, Herrington DM, Manson JE, Wu L, Heckbert SR, et al; Women's Health Initiative Research Group. Conjugated equine estrogens and peripheral arterial disease risk: the Women's Health Initiative. Am Heart J 2006;152:170-6. [PMID: 16824852]
137. Stefanick ML, Anderson GL, Margolis KL, Hendrix SL, Rodabough RJ, Paskett ED, et al; WHI Investigators. Effects of conjugated equine estrogens on breast cancer and mammography screening in postmenopausal women with hysterectomy. JAMA 2006;295:1647-57. [PMID: 16609086]
138. Black DM, Kelly MP, Genant HK, Palermo L, Eastell R, Bucci-Rechtweg C, et al; Fracture Intervention Trial Steering Committee. Bisphosphonates and fractures of the subtrochanteric or diaphyseal femur. N Engl J Med 2010;362:1761-71. [PMID: 20335571]
140. Dunfield L, Mierzwinski-Urban M, Hodgson A, Banks R. Diagnostic performance and cost-effectiveness of technologies to measure bone mineral density in postmenopausal women. Technology report number 94. Ottawa: Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technologies in Health; 2007.
141. Ensrud KE, Stock JL, Barrett-Connor E, Grady D, Mosca L, Khaw KT, et al. Effects of raloxifene on fracture risk in postmenopausal women: the Raloxifene Use for the Heart Trial. J Bone Miner Res 2008;23:112-20. [PMID: 17892376]
142. Rossouw JE, Prentice RL, Manson JE, Wu L, Barad D, Barnabei VM, et al. Postmenopausal hormone therapy and risk of cardiovascular disease by age and years since menopause. JAMA 2007;297:1465-77. [PMID: 17405972]
Copyright and Source Information
This document is in the public domain within the United States.
Requests for linking or to incorporate content in electronic resources should be sent via the USPSTF contact form.
Source: Nelson HD, Haney EM, Dana T, Bougatsos C, Chou R. Screening for osteoporosis: an update for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Ann Intern Med 2010;153(2):1-14.
Disclaimer: The findings and conclusions in this document are those of the authors, who are responsible for its content, and do not necessarily represent the views of the AHRQ. No statement in this report should be construed as an official position of AHRQ or of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
Acknowledgment: The authors acknowledge the contributions of AHRQ Project Officer Kenneth Lin, MD, and USPSTF leads Rosanne Leipzig, MD, PhD; Diana Petitti, MD, MPH; and George Sawaya, MD. Rochelle Fu, PhD, conducted statistical sensitivity analyses; Andrew Hamilton, MLS, MS, created the literature searches; and Michelle Pappas, BA, provided administrative assistance at the Oregon Evidence-based Practice Center at the Oregon Health & Science University.
Grant Support: This manuscript is based on research conducted by the Oregon Evidence-based Practice Center under contract to the AHRQ (contract 290-02-0024). Dr. Haney was supported by a career development award from the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases (K23 AR051926).
AHRQ Publication No. 10-05145-EF-4
Current as of July 2010
Nelson HD, Haney EM, Dana T, Bougatsos C, Chou R. Screening for Osteoporosis: An Update for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. AHRQ Publication No. 10-05145-EF-4, July 2010. http://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/uspstf10/osteoporosis/osteoart.htm